Friday 22 May 2009

My unexpected introduction to Ellada




February, 1993, a cold Monday morning in a grey Berlin - and a day which was to change the rest of my life. Got to work on the underground and arrived to find the whole office in uproar. "We're moving to Saloniki" was the morning greeting from my colleague. "Haven't you read the Sunday paper? They decided at the European Summit over the week-end - Kohl would do anything to get the European Central Bank."

I stopped in my steps. "The Director has called a meeting at 10 a.m. It's not his fault - the whole thing was kept confidential and he only learned it from the newspapers like us."

"And where, may I ask, is Saloniki?" was my response. "Greece, somewhere in Greece".

We searched frantically for a map of Europe, not sure whether to laugh or cry. And so my story begins.......

And for those of you like me who does not know where (Thes)saloniki is:




No comments:

Post a Comment